A healthy diet is one that provides all the necessary nutrients to our body in an adequate amount.
The increase in consumption of fast food and processed foods is one of the great villains today. In addition, the hustle and bustle of everyday life and changes in the population’s lifestyle are directly contributing to the poor quality of food. Problems such as obesity and heart disease are more and more frequent and are directly related to the lack of a healthy diet.
Healthy eating is often confused with overeating. However, healthy eating is much more related to the variety and quality of what is being eaten than to the quantity. Our meals must obey our body’s needs, therefore containing all the necessary nutrients, such as vitamins, proteins, lipids and carbohydrates.
Another important point to have a healthy diet is the regularity of meals . The ideal is to eat every three hours, so we should have the following daily meals: breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and supper .
Here are some tips on how to eat healthier:
– Avoid fried foods and very fatty foods. Roasted, cooked and grilled foods are healthier.
– Include three servings of milk and dairy products in your diet. Prefer skim milk products.
– Eat at least one serving of meat, poultry, fish or eggs.
– Avoid alcoholic drinks, soft drinks and other industrialized drinks.
– Do not overcook vegetables, as they can lose important nutrients.
– Include six portions of the cereals, tubers and roots group in your daily diet.
Don’t stop now … There’s more after the publicity;)
– Drink at least two liters of water a day.
– Eat fiber-rich foods to lower cholesterol and improve bowel function. As an example of foods rich in fiber, we can mention legumes, fruits and cereals and leafy vegetables, such as lettuce. It is important to eat at least three servings of vegetables and three servings of fruits daily.
– Eat rice and beans at least five times a week, so you will have a diet with all types of proteins necessary for the body.
– Decrease the amount of salt in the food. A good tip is to use spices such as garlic and onion to improve the flavor. Also avoid processed foods with a lot of salt.
– Avoid consuming candies and sweets excessively.
– Set up colorful dishes that encourage consumption.
– Eat slowly and in pleasant surroundings.
It is important to note that healthy eating is not based on “less tasty” foods. The key to having a quality food is to eat everything, but in the right quantity. Therefore, avoid restrictive diets, which are sure to put your health at risk.